Surely, every mother at least once faced with a situation where the high temperature of the baby does not get off. The child becomes hot, red, crying. What to do at a high temperature in the child – to shoot down the temperature on its own or, without losing time, to cause the ambulance? We answer this and other important issues.
Why do children suffer from fever?
The temperature of a person is not static. It changes several times throughout the day: in the morning usually goes down in the evening rises, may change during exercise. This is the norm.
Significant body temperature jumps indicate a response to infection. Parents should remember that at elevated temperature in a child who is not a disease but a symptom, it is necessary to consider several possible reasons.
- The presence of infection;
- Most often in this period, the temperature of the baby increases in the range of 37.8 degrees. If the result above, it is necessary to consider other causes;
- High temperatures – one of the side effects of vaccination;
- The response to environmental conditions. Thermoregulation in young children is different from adults, so in case of overheating or overcooling temperature in children may increase.
How to measure the temperature
To start measure it with a thermometer. About fever indicates an increase in temperature in the mouth to 37.5 degrees to 37.2 degrees under the armpits, rectal temperature up to 38 degrees.
However, the measurement data will not help determine what the baby is sick. Thus, at high temperatures up to 39 degrees, a child may be common cold, while the serious infectious disease at an early age often occur with normal or even lower temperature, less 36.1 degrees. Therefore, parents should take into account not only the temperatures, but also the behavior of the crumbs of breath and other symptoms.
When the temperature is dangerous?
Previously, physicians at a high temperature immediately administered treatment strategy is currently adjusted. It is believed that the medication for a temperature of 38 degrees is required.
What to do at a high temperature of 38 degrees or higher? We must immediately call an ambulance. In addition, emergency medical care is needed for children up to two years if the high temperature they held more than 24 hours, and children older than 2 years at a high temperature over 72 hours.
The first aid to older children is not necessary if …
- The child is active, interested in games;
- Baby does not refuse food and water;
- Skin color is normal;
- Body temperature is gradually reduced.
If the baby temperature above 38 degrees and not reduced, it is possible to churn it with ibuprofen or acetaminophen. Young children is better to give these drugs in the form of syrups.
Important! Newborn to 2 months cannot independently give antipyretic drugs.
When should I call an ambulance?
- The child’s age less than 3 months, the rectal temperature had exceeded 38 degrees;
- Baby older than 3 months, the temperature had reached 39 degrees;
- The child refuses to drink water;
- Together with the temperature of the child has diarrhea, vomiting;
- The baby is showing signs of dehydration, such as lethargy, infrequent urination, crying without tears allocation;
- Baby under 2 years, high temperatures it does not decrease within 24 hours;
- A child older than 2 years, fever lasts for more than 72 hours;
- The child complains of ear pain, pain in the throat;
- Temperature fails to knock down any medicines;
- The body of the baby having a rash, spots like bruises;
- The child complains of severe headaches, abdominal pain during urination;
- breathing difficult baby, his skin, nails, lips, tongue turned blue;
- The child has previously been diagnosed with the disease, such as cancer, anemia, lupus, diseases of the cardiovascular system;
- The crumbs having torticollis symptoms;
- The baby cries long and hard, or, on the contrary, has become too sluggish.