Safety is often associated with home. It is the most familiar place for a certain person because this is the place where he grew up or which he built. For some, home is the place where they can let their guards take care off and let the precaution gone with the wind. However, many of the homes nowadays are not safe as most people think. Even if you think that your home system installed keeps burglars at bay, safety is still not a sure thing.
Many situations might put a family into danger. Some are basic safety rules that are violated unintentionally. Others are mere accidents. There are no fast rules on how to keep a home safe but sometimes common sense and presence of mind can save people’s lives.
To keep a home safe, one must take an inventory of what they have to protect. Do you have a kid at home, or untrained pets that might trigger accidents or damages on your household appliances? Knowing what might happen with unattended kids and pets might save your home from future problem.
If you have kids or love to have kids around the house, you must keep in mind that all things that can be swallowed accidentally, a reason to start a fire, sharp or uneven edges that is below three feet in height should be fixed before kids and pet are left on their own. These are things that often left unattended or skip parents minds because their minds are assured by the installed home safety systems. To give few basic tips on keeping a place safe for your kids and pets read the following list:
- Keep your child things away from windows. If you think that the kid will be left most of the time on their own, have a window blind installed. You might prefer the cordless ones since those with cords poses potential danger of getting the kids entangled on those dangling cords.
- The floors are the most ignored potential accident culprit. Tiles are nice for homes, but those installed tiles particularly in the bathroom might be those kinds that are slippery when few drops of water dripped on them unseen.
- Clutters can cause little children and even pets trip over or get hurt.
- Poisoning is another source of accident. Sometimes, even when we think everything has been hidden from the kids view adults forgot to check if the hidden area was locked. As a precaution, an adult must always check if the lock has been properly placed. If possible, keep chemicals on areas that are not easy to reach by small kids. Even outside your home, ensure that the chemicals are something that the pets might fish out from its hiding place. Dogs can find anything and even if they do not digest it, they might leave it lying around and get picked up by kids.
- For those who owned pets, it is important to check if your pet is the type who chews on things. If it does, ensure that cords are protected from his chewing activities.
The easiest way to maintain your home safe is by keeping it clutter free and minimal in furniture.